As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs.
The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 122 – May 12, 2019 – Homesteading and Market Gardening With Guest Jason Smith
On this podcast episode, I’m joined by Homesteader and Market Gardener Jason Smith to talk about his homesteading journey and a little about the ins and outs of establishing and running a market garden.
- Planted 2 different varieties of elderberries on the homestead that I purchased from Stark Brothers Nursery.
- Got my wine cap mushroom spawn in from Field and Forest.
- Ordered some tilapia for the aquaponics system from Lakeway Tilapia.
- Building a more appropriate arbor for the grapes.
Homesteading and Market Gardening With Guest Jason Smith
Jason, his wife Megan, and his daughter have been homesteading for a number of years and run an on-farm market that sells to local restaurants in the Nashville area. They raise vegetables year-round using unheated greenhouses and on-farm inputs to create better soil and also have laying hens they use for eggs. They can food, heat their house using a wood stove, and have become very thrifty over the years. They have a very successful homestead but it didn’t happen overnight. It’s had its challenges and they love sharing their experiences so other folks can benefit from it and want to share and inspire folks to homestead.
- Jason’s journey into homesteading.
- Growing year-round in a four-season climate.
- Starting and expanding his market garden.
- Using chickens on the homestead.
- Homesteading for better health as well as a business.
- Building a hoophouse.
- Building mobile vegetable washing stations.
- Building a walk-in cooler with a coolbot.
- Jason’s Farm Website – https://www.smithfamilyfarmtn.com/
- Jason’s Blog – https://smithfamilyfarmtn.blogspot.com/
- Jason’s Youtube Channel –https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH_6SzCMTTkjNDS8qU2TzEg
Also mentioned in the podcast:
Homestead Recipe Of The Week:
This week’s recipe comes in from Darcey for Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
- How To Hatch Your Own Coturnix Quail Eggs At Home - April 18, 2021
- Product Review: Inkbird Heating Temperature Controller - April 17, 2021
- Composting Basics: Make Use Of Waste and Improve Soil - April 11, 2021