Listen To The Podcast
The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 94 – June 25, 2018 – The Good, Bad and Ugly About Growing Bamboo.
Question For Today’s Podcast Episode:
April asks: Bamboo: pros and cons. I recently learned that it’s a breeding ground for ticks which would be enough for me NOT to plant it, but otherwise, I’d really like to. I’d love more info.
- The benefits of bamboo. Construction material, privacy screens, culinary, medicinal, charcoal.
- The problems with growing bamboo.
- Different types of bamboo. Over 1500 varieties. Running and Clumping.
- Who might want to grow it? Those who have space and a purpose.
- Who definitely wants to avoid growing it.
More info on clumping bamboo varieties – http://www.bamboogarden.com/Hardy%20clumping.htm
Article demonstrating the potential problem of planting running bamboo on small property – https://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2011/07/thickening_stand_of_bamboo_is.html
The Homestead Life:
A segment where each episode I share something that’s better in my life because of homesteading.
Berry harvesting season! I call it nature’s candy but it’s healthy. I love strolling through the homestead and grabbing handfuls of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and whatever else I can get my hands on. If I don’t eat them all fresh from the garden and some make it to the kitchen we make cobblers, pies, juice, jellies, and jams. My life is better because of berry harvesting on the homestead!
- A Beginners Guide To Building Guilds On Your Permaculture Homestead - March 28, 2023
- The Resilient Farm and Homestead by Ben Falk - March 27, 2023
- The Good Life: Helen and Scott Nearing’s Sixty Years of Self-Sufficient Living - March 22, 2023