On this episode of the Modern Homesteading Podcast, Harold and Rachel Have A Conversation About A Variety of Food Preservation Methods From The Past and Modern Methods.
The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 150 – August 10, 2022 – Food Preservation Methods (Past and Present).
Listen To The Podcast
Topic of Discussion
Food Preservation Methods (Past and Present)
- Minimal Processing – Root Cellars, Cool Storage, Room Temperature Storage, and in-ground storage.
- Canning – Water Bath Canning, Steam Canning, Pressure Canning, and Retort canning,
- Freeze Drying.
- Preserving in Salt and Sugar.
- Immersion in alcohol. (Liqueurs)
- Preserving in Fat (larding)
Listener Questions and Feedback:
Who’s planting (or planted) what for their fall garden?
Resources Mentioned On This Podcast Episode
- Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving – https://amzn.to/3zGlIA7
- Excalibur Food Dehydrator – https://amzn.to/3bHDhHZ
- Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker – https://amzn.to/3p1B3pJ
- National Centers for Home Canning – https://nchfp.uga.edu/
- MSU Food Preservation Classes and Information – https://www.canr.msu.edu/food_preservation/programs
- Recipe for dried candied citrus peels (amazing) – https://www.marthastewart.com/313211/candied-citrus-peels
- Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables by Mike Bubel – https://amzn.to/3JPsx6T
- My Ultimate EXCALIBUR Food Dehydrator Recipe Book – https://amzn.to/3dbQqt6
- Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing by Michael Ruhlman – https://amzn.to/3bPN2nC
- Townsend’s Amazon Page – https://amzn.to/3SG0z1u
- Townsends – YouTube
- Potted Meat Townsends – https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson/search?query=potted%20meat
Watch This Podcast Episode Video
- Pallet Buster Deck Wrecker Tool for Disassembling Pallets – Item Of The Week - February 2, 2023
- 5 Common Rainwater Harvesting Problems and How To Fix Them - February 2, 2023
- The Permaculture Handbook by Peter Bane: Book Review - February 1, 2023