As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs.
The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 99 – July 19, 2018 – What To Do First To Turn A New Home Into A Homestead
In this podcast episode, I answer a question from a listener about what I would suggest they do first at their soon-to-be new home to turn it into a functioning homestead.
- STILL NO RAIN!!!
- Drying herbs
- Making more pickles
- Making baby food
Question For Today’s Podcast Episode:
James asks: What would you suggest a person do first when buying a house?
Details: I’m potentially about to buy a house with 1.6 acres, relatively flat with a few trees but lots of open space. I currently raise quail, have a garden, and an aquaponics system. I’d like to expand all three of those things plus get into farming part-time with some pastured poultry and possibly some meat rabbits and quail eggs. Thanks for the show.
- Evaluation of your new homestead.
- Education through reputable sources.
- Emulating great examples of those who are doing what you want to do.
- Establish the right infrastructure for your homestead.
- Evolve gradually, because you won’t get everything right the first time.
- Enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
Evaluating the layout for permanent infrastructure and trees.
The expansion of what James is already doing with quail, gardening, and aquaponics.
Getting the pasture-raised poultry operation started with chicken tractors.
- FARM MARKETING SOLUTIONS – Stress-Free Chicken Tractor Plans – https://farmmarketingsolutions.com/stress-free-chicken-tractor-plans/
- Red Tool House – Ep 31: We review the Suscovich Chicken Tractor design
- Jack Spirko Quail Aviary and Aquaponics Combo Build – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpHUZsnFSzdKOW2XfPTycLOKX9rLF7C4L
- Pastured Poultry Profit$ Paperback by Joel Salatin – https://amzn.to/2LlY84d
- You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Start & Succeed in a Farming Enterprise 1st Edition by Joel Salatin – https://amzn.to/2NtmKFA
The Homestead Life:
A segment where each episode I share something that’s better in my life because of homesteading.
Growing salad mix year-round! I take this for granted and don’t consider how awesome this is most of the time because it is such a simple thing to do but my life is so much better because of this. Before I even had a greenhouse I grew a lettuce mix in my house in the winter under grow lights and grew a variety of sprouts but now that I have a greenhouse I grow a few lettuce varieties, spinach, kale, and chard all year long. Having a few salads a week may not seem like a big deal but when you grow it yourself and understand the difference between that and store or restaurant purchased salad you realize how much better the homestead life is.
- What is Bokashi Composting? - April 24, 2021
- What Is A Biennial Plant? - April 21, 2021
- How Long Should You Grow Potatoes Before Harvesting - April 19, 2021