As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs.
The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 93 – June 20, 2018 – Laying Down A Strong Foundation For A New Homestead.
Question For Today’s Podcast Episode:
Zach asks: My wife and I will be closing on a new home on five acres in the next few weeks. We’re both new to rural living and homesteading, but are excited to get started. We’d like to ultimately be able to grow/raise the majority of our food needs, including vegetables/fruit/nuts, and raising small livestock, along with potentially taking on selling at farmer’s markets or running a small CSA. Looking back on your experience, what do you think are the best areas to start out with for wisely building a new homesteading operation? In other words, are there projects you feel lay a strong foundation on which to further develop a fully functioning, intensive homestead?
More specific to our situation, are there certain areas you’d address in a location that experiences all four seasons (we’re in Minnesota) and/or for people starting out in mid-summer, rather than autumn or spring?
The 6 E’s
- Evaluation of your new homestead
- Education through reputable sources.
- Emulating great examples of those who are doing what you want to do.
- Establish the right infrastructure for your homestead.
- Evolve gradually, because you won’t get everything right the first time.
- Enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
- Folks, This Ain’t Normal: A Farmer’s Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World by Joel Salatin – https://amzn.to/2K57aix
- Your Successful Farm Business: Production, Profit, Pleasure by Joel Salatin – https://amzn.to/2M8tMPz
- You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Start & Succeed in a Farming Enterprise by Joel Salatin – https://amzn.to/2I4bRXG
- The Market Gardener: A Successful Grower’s Handbook for Small-Scale Organic Farming by Jean-Martin Fortier – https://amzn.to/2JSgx95
- Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long, 2nd Edition by Eliot Coleman – https://amzn.to/2M7swMO
- The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live by Niki Jabbour – https://amzn.to/2MCC03s
The Homestead Life:
A segment where each episode I share something that’s better in my life because of homesteading.
Enjoying the hard work of homesteading. Ending the day hot, sweaty, and dirty and enjoying the feeling that this is how life is supposed to be!
- What is Bokashi Composting? - April 24, 2021
- What Is A Biennial Plant? - April 21, 2021
- How Long Should You Grow Potatoes Before Harvesting - April 19, 2021