On this episode of the Modern Homesteading Podcast, Harold and Rachel Share 8 Valuable Ways To Make Use Of The Fallen Leaves On The Homestead.
The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 167 – November 15, 2022
Listen To The Podcast
8 Ways To Make Use Of Fallen Leaves On Your Homestead
- 1. Leave Them Where They Are
- Feeds The Soil Where They Land
- Benefits Wildlife
- 2. Garden Bed Mulch
- Suppresses Weeds
- Helps Soil Retain Moisture
- Breaks Down Into Humus, Feeds Soil, and Improves Tilth
- 3. Compost Biomass
- Great “Brown” Organic Matter For Compost (mix greens and browns appropriately for best results). Ideally, a Carbon to Nitrogen Ratio of around 30:1 (leaves have a Carbon to Nitrogen Ratio of about 80:1) or 3 to 1 by volume.
- Works Best When Leaves Are Shredded
- 4. Leaf Mold
- What Is Leaf Mold?
- Leaf Mold or Mould Is leaves that are composted slowly in a fungal-driven process rather than by traditional compost methods which are a bacterially-driven process.
- Benefits To Soil
- Helps With Moisture Retention
- Improves and Aerates Soil Structure
- Increases Beneficial Micro-organisms
- How To Make It
- Create a large pile in a wood or wire compost bin, slightly moisten, and let sit for 2 years.
- Can be sped up by shredding leaves and turning.
- What Is Leaf Mold?
- 5. Insulate Root Vegetables, Bulbs, Bushes, and Trees
- Helps Protect Against Extreme Cold Weather
- Pull Back From Trunk When Using Around Trees
- 6. Use Them In Hugelkultur Mounds
- Use In Conjunction With Logs Sticks and Other Biomass.
- Process Works To Fill Lower Levels Of Tall Raised Beds Also.
- 7. Burn Them and Make Potash and Lye
- Use Potash To Increase Potassium In Soil If Needed and To Increase Ph of Soil
- Lye Can Be Made Of Ash To Make Things Like Furniture Polish, Drain Cleaner, and Oven Cleaner.
- 8. Animal Bedding
- Make sure they are dry, best if shredded. They do break down quicker.
- Article: Composting Basics: Make Use Of Waste and Improve Soil – https://redemptionpermaculture.com/composting-basics-make-use-of-waste-and-improve-soil/
- Article: How To Make And Use Leaf Mold For Better Soil – https://redemptionpermaculture.com/how-to-make-and-use-leaf-mold-for-better-soil/
- Article: This Fall, Leave the Leaves! – https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2022/10/17/fall-leave-leaves
- Article: Do Burned Leaves Make Good Fertilizers? – https://thetilth.com/do-burned-leaves-make-good-fertilizers/
- Article: How to safely unclog drainage with lye – https://umamidays.com/how-to-safely-unclog-drainage-with-lye/
- Article: How To Make Lye From Wood Ashes – https://www.homegrownselfreliance.com/how-to-make-lye-from-wood-ashes/
- Electric Leaf Mulcher – https://amzn.to/3TBwEqv
- [53 GALLONS/MIN] That’s right, the 13.0 Amp motor mulches up to 53 Gallons of…
- [RIGHT INTO THE BAG] Disposes of leaves and debris into a bag you can attach…
- [11:1 MULCH RATIO] That’s 11 bags chopped down into 1, all due to the…
Last update on 2023-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Listen On YouTube
- Growing Nuts on the Homestead: Guest David Hughes - September 27, 2023
- Creating Wildlife Habitats in Your Garden: Reasons and Methods - September 26, 2023
- The Regenerative Grower’s Guide to Garden Amendments by Nigel Palmer - September 20, 2023
- Homesteading and Responsible Preparedness - September 6, 2023
- 12 Things We Learned About Homesteading Watching One Of Our Favorite Shows - August 23, 2023
- Building An Efficient And Productive Homestead: Guests Parker and Lauren Holmes - August 16, 2023