Listen To The Podcast
In this podcast episode, I discuss composting with worms. Vermicomposting is a fantastic way to compost and provide valuable nutrients for your garden, here’s what you need to know to get started with your very own composting system.
- Treating rabbits for ear mites.
- Decision time on whether to get a different truck or fix the old one.
Homesteading Relevant News:
UN Report Says Small-Scale Organic Farming Only Way to Feed the World – This is an old article from 2013 but it has a link to a 300 page PDF called Called “Wake Up Before It’s Too Late” that I “mostly” agree with.
Hangin’ Out on the Homestead Front Porch:
Front Porch question for this week’s podcast episode:
What is one thing homesteading has brought into your life that you couldn’t imagine living without now?
Main Topic Of Discussion:
Why Do Vermicomposting
- Put food waste and trash to good use
- Compost in the wintertime
- Create a valuable product for seed starting and the garden
Build a Worm Bin
- For a simple design start with 2 – 10 gallon or larger Rubbermaid bins or 2 simple 5-gallon buckets.
- A better and more complex design is called a flow-through vermicomposting bin.
Commercial Worm Bins
- The Urban Worm Bag
- Can o’ Worms
- Worm Wigwam Worm Factory 360
What to Compost
- When you feed worms always try to add equal portions of greens and browns!
- Greens: Vegetable and fruit scraps, bread, pasta, coffee grounds and filters, tea bags, dead plant matter from houseplants
- Browns: Paper, junk mail, paper egg cartons, cardboard, dry leaves
- Try to avoid salty foods, citrus, spicy foods, oils, prepackaged foods with preservatives, meat and dairy products because they attract flies and can cause the vermicomposter to smell.
What Kind of Worms To Use
- Red Wigglers
Maintaining Proper Moisture
- Needs to be about as moist as a wrung-out sponge.Weekly feeding schedule
Maintaining Proper Temperature
- Their optimal feeding conditions range from about 60 – 75 degrees F. Below 50 and above 85 and you risk worms dying.
- Depending on your design this can be a chore.
- Basic bins should be harvested 2 to 3 times a year.
- Screening castings
- Harvest from a flow bin
Starting A Worm Business
- Building Worm Bins
- Selling Composting Worms
- Selling Worm Castings
- Support a local food producer this week.