As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs.
Homesteading in small spaces has many challenges but things get even tougher when children’s play equipment is battling for space in the backyard of an urban or suburban homestead.
The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 105 – September 5, 2018 – Creative Homesteading In Small Spaces With Children.
On this podcast episode, I answer a listener question by giving my thoughts on how to creatively homestead around and with children’s playground toys like trampolines, swing sets, and playhouses.
- Lots of tomatoes despite my poor pruning practices this year.
- Still harvesting lots of cucumbers, beans, peppers, and quite a few other things.
- A lot of pruning left to do.
- Sunflower living wall update.Update on the aquaponics tank.
Creative Homesteading In Small Spaces With Children
Question For Today’s Podcast Episode:
Jordain asks: I’m working on turning my 1/5 acre lot just outside downtown (Boise) into an urban homestead. I’ve been gardening for the last three years with mixed results, this year has been my best thanks to proper planning. I’m getting chickens next spring for eggs and want to get rabbits for meat (thanks to your podcast, I wouldn’t have even thought about that as an option) and Nigerian dwarf goats for milk and light packing on hunting trips with my sons. My problem and question comes in because this summer my mother-in-law bought my kids a 12-foot trampoline which takes up a lot of space in our yard. I was wondering if you had any ideas of multiple uses I could find for this space hog? I thought about putting chicken wire around the base to use it as a large chicken/rabbit tractor, but I’m not sure how practical that would be. If you have any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear you talk about it on your podcast any maybe any other multiple-use scenarios for other children’s play structures that potential urban homesteaders might have to deal with on their journeys. Thank you for your time and help, I love the podcast and everything you’re doing to promote healthy and self-sufficient living.
- Ideas for using the space under a trampoline for homesteading purposes and what you shouldn’t use it for.
- Multi-purposing a swingset for homestead uses.
- Some creative ways to use a kid’s playhouse.
- Small Green Roofs: Low-Tech Options for Greener Living by Nigel Dunnett, Dusty Gedge, John Little, Edmund C. Snodgrass – https://amzn.to/2ML2F1M
- Organic Mushroom Farming and Mycoremediation: Simple to Advanced and Experimental Techniques for Indoor and Outdoor Cultivation by Tradd Cotter – https://amzn.to/2NTlQ6g
The Homestead Life:
A segment where each episode I share something that’s better in my life because of homesteading.
Quail Egg Weekend Family Breakfast. Almost every weekend the kids show up for breakfast so it has become a family “Thing”.
- 9 Reasons Raising Rabbits Might Be Perfect For Your Homestead - June 5, 2021
- What is Bokashi Composting? - April 24, 2021
- What Is A Biennial Plant? - April 21, 2021